There are hundreds of factors that influence your website's Search Engine ranking and where you appear on Google/Bing searches. We take care of most of these for you, however, there are also numerous ways you can help yourself and speed up the process. Below are the 6 points we find are most important and make the biggest difference to our customers.
1) Set up a Google My Business listing and get reviews. This is an important thing if you're a local business. Usually, getting more reviews is the quickest and easiest way to improve your ranking and attract more business to the site. For most of our customers, between 5-10 reviews is usually plenty to give you a good Google ranking, but of course the more you can get the better. After 5 reviews you also get a nice little star rating by your site where it appears on Google, which is quite eye-catching too! To make life easier for your customers we can place a link straight to your Google listing from your website. This is usually on your 'reviews' or 'contact' page. Even just a few reviews can help give you a huge boost.
See our article here
2) Make changes. Google and Bing love active websites that are full of unique content about your business. After all, they don't want to list a load of dormant old websites! We offer a complete changes service for you, all included in your package, so that your website can grow with your business. You can tell us what you would like changed simply by sending your changes to us from your Mettrr Dashboard. A good idea is to think of what questions your customers ask you when they call. If you can pre-empt these on your website, you will save yourself time and get more out of Search Engines too!
3) Be unique. Are you competing with 10 other businesses in your area? Then you don't want to be the tenth generic website customers come across, you want to be the one that stands out from the crowd! With making changes, the more content that is linked to your business the better, as this will not only make you stand out when potential customers are searching Google/Bing, but also boosts your Google ranking, since Google favors websites that are customized and unique. Be creative with your content and remember to send us updates as often as you like!
4) Link up. A good tip is to try linking your site up to as many local directories as you can find (usually it's free to do this online). Local online directories are a great way to increase the number of links to your website, and Google/Bing love sites that have connections. Make your number one rule to get your domain name added to as many websites and directories as you can. Also, if you are on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc, we can link these to your website too! Just send this to us on your online portal by logging into your Mettrr Dashboard.
You can also add your website to your social media pages. These connections are extremely important for your customers as well as your Search Engine ranking.
5) Coverage & Services. Make sure you have given us comprehensive areas covered and service descriptions. Service Titles are used as 'Keywords' and these are combined with your areas covered. So if you have a service of Landscape Gardening and one of the areas covered is 'Bristol' those search terms of 'Landscape Gardening' in 'Bristol' become active on search engines. The number of competitors in the area will have an impact still, but you have more chance of being found by having a Service Title and description and making sure we have specific areas. Just saying 'Nationwide' is not enough as when a user is searching for a Landscape Gardener, they would type in their local town - not 'National'.
6) Be patient. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a marathon, not a sprint. Search Engine Optimization is never an easy, predictable thing, and can take time. It is hugely impacted by how competitive your area and business sector is. It certainly isn't the only route to get more out of your website. You can also promote your website at any available opportunity, make sure it's on your van, your shirts, your business cards etc, as traffic comes from a lot of different places, not just Search Engines. Wherever you would normally present your phone number, make sure your domain name is there too!
By combining all the tips above, you can increase your ranking position and improve the look of your website.
If you need help, you can call the Customer Service team on 0330-122-1010 (UK) / 844-411-0200 (North America) or email on firstname.lastname@example.org