If you have followed our previous article, you will now have a PayPal business account set up, so you're ready to go ahead and create a PayPal button. if you still need to create one, then visit our article by clicking here.
Below is a step by step guide to explain how to do this - we also have a video guide too. As you can see, it's just a couple of minutes and you'll be ready to send us your link.
1. Once you are on the “Create a PayPal Payment Button” page the first thing you need to choose is a button type.
Here are the button type options available to you:
Here's a description of the buttons you have available to you:
|Button Type||I want to:|
|Shopping cart||Allow customers to choose one or more items from a single check out|
|Buy now||Let customer purchase one item at a time|
|Automatic billing||Sign customers up for a billing agreement that allows you to charge them a variable amount - up to a mutually agreed maximum - each billing cycle. For example, utility bills|
|Donations||Let customers choose a fixed or variable donation amount|
|Gift vouchers||Sell gift certificates in pre-determined amounts or allow customers to choose their own amount|
|Instalment plan||Let customers pay for items using flexible multiple payments|
|Subscriptions||Offer subscriptions or other recurring payments for items like magazine subscriptions or club memberships|
2. Now you need to fill out an item name, it is important to remember that you can only ever have one product on each PayPal button on your website. That is the case even if you have multiple sizes of the same product, as should have been explained to you by all Mettrr agents, that is a limitation of our online payments solution.
3. Now select a price for the product and select the currency in which you will be charging your customers
a. N.B. DO NOT select any of the “Customise button” options because we will not be able to add this button to the website. This is a PayPal limitation and one we hope they will change in the near future
4. Select home much you would like to charge for postage on all orders in this section:
5. In the “Merchant account IDs” it is up to you to decide which option you would like to use, for more information on each option click here - you will need to be logged in to see this article.
6. Click the “Email” button in the middle of the page that is in the red square
a. N.B. The email button will not show if you selected any of the "Customise button" options, please go back and deselect any of these options before continuing
7. Click “Select code”, right-click the code and select “Copy”
8. Now you need to send this code to Mettrr through your Mettrr Dashboard.
9. When sending the button link to Mettrr you may also want to let us know what you would like your button to say, here is an example of a PayPal button on a website:
When choosing what to put on the button title (the text at the top) and the button text (the text on the button) we have some best practice principles.
- Both the button title and button text should be a call to action for the user (see examples below)
- The title text can be slightly longer that tells the user what they are actually buying, donating for or paying for
- The button text should be short and snappy (4 words maximum)
- Adding a reference to time generally makes buttons perform better, use "Buy Now" instead of "Buy"
- Make it personal to get the user more involved, examples include ‘Get Your T-shirt’, ‘Buy Yours Today’, ‘Pay For My Domestic Clean’, ‘I Want This!’
- Include a reference to the product or service that is being sold in the title text. For example, if a cleaner was selling a domestic clean, the title text would be ‘Pay For Your Domestic Clean Today’
- Try not to repeat phrases in the title text and the button text. For example, don’t use ‘Buy Your T-Shirt Today’ for the title text and then ‘Buy Today’ for the button text
Here are some examples that you can use:
|Example title text for both PayPal ‘Add To Cart’ and ‘Buy Now’ buttons:||Button text examples for the PayPal ‘Add to Cart’ buttons:||Button text examples for the PayPal ‘Buy Now’ buttons:||Title text examples for the PayPal ‘Donate’ buttons:||Button text examples for the PayPal ‘Donate’ buttons:|
|‘Get Your [Product] Here’||‘Shop Now’||‘Shop Now’||‘Help Us To [purpose of the charity] Today’ Actual example: ‘Help Us To Fund A School Today’||‘Donate Here’|
|‘Pay For Your [Product/ Service] Here’||‘Add to Basket’||‘Buy Today’||‘Make A Difference By Donating Here’||‘Support Us Today’|
|‘Buy Your [Product/Service] Today’||‘Add to Bag’||‘Buy Now’||‘We Need Your Support - Give Here’||‘Donate [Button amount]’|
|‘Don’t Miss Out On Our [Product/Service’||‘Add to Cart’||‘Book A [service]’||‘Make Your Donation Today’||‘Give Here’|
|‘Order Your [Product/Service] Now’||‘Checkout’||‘Get Your [Product]||‘Make A Difference’|
And remember, if you ever want to change or update the text on your button, just let us know through your Mettrr Dashboard and we will change it for you.